keel mod

rob

keel mod

rob
Has anyone made a lid on the keelcase to allow easy keel maintenance?
rob

Re: keel mod

rob
Sorry I will stop emailing daft ideas I found the drawing and looks like it's well below waterline which I spose is why I am able to camp easier.

Re: keel mod

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Not daft, just demonstrating a lack of familiarity with the boat.

As you've discovered the bulk of the keel is completely hidden below not just the the cabin sole moulding but by the hull moulding as well, which in that area is filled with concrete and scrap iron.

You can reach the forward pivot bolt via a hatch in the sole. At the aft end the pointed tip of the L-shaped keel plate does reach up to the cabin threshold but inside the casing that supports the threshold. The small hole there doesn't give you any access to the bulk of the keel plate.

If you're an inland sailor problems with the keel are vary rare. Boats in coastal waters do sometimes find barnacles and other growth can cause the keel to get stuck within the slot and freeing the keel can then take a bit of shifting.

If your boat is especially early (with a sail number earlier than about #150) then there can be keel problems as explained at:
http://www.seahawk17.org.uk/owners-maintenance-fittings-keel.php#jammed
Unless that is the issue, then I'd agree with Victoria (Marsh Marigold) the key is to ensure the keel strop is in good order.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography