Something Bigger than a SeaHawk

GregSeaHawk
Hi Alan,
vanman800 wrote
My dream is to move up to something bigger based on a mooring or in a marina. Something like a Westerly Centaur would be nice.

I recently had a lovely day out from  Conway sailing on a friends Beneteau Oceanis 31. The attraction to bigger boats lies in my wish to sail longer passages to Ireland , the Isle of Mann etc.

Incidently, the Westerly owners site and forum is well worth a look for tips on boat maintenance etc.
By chance, I was aboard a Beneteau 36 CC last week. A friend of my brother-in-law took us both out for a short trip around Portsmouth Harbour.

Nice enough craft if you have the odd £70-90k to buy one (plus around £5000 a year to keep her sailing, according to her owner) but, for me, you seem to lose all the feel of a boat once you are using massive winches to haul in the jib sheets and have wheel steering.

Even if I had the budget, I'm not sure I'd want such a craft, and the cockpit was no bigger than a SeaHawk's, although it had seven berths in five cabins! Even the owner admitted that wasn't good thinking. On the plus side, I was impressed with the many little lockers and cubby-holes that were found all over the decks and cabins.

PS: I'll be moving this to General Chat, as it's not really "Intro" material.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography

Re: Vanman800

vanman800
Hi Greg,

I tend to agree with your thoughts other than going to sea in a little Seahawk can make you feel a little vulnerable! Also it would be nice to have the 'caravan' aspect of a larger boat. In an ideal world both would be great!

Vanman800 (Alan Loughran Seahawk 120 'Pippin')

Re: Vanman800

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Have you tried to alter your subject line in the "Intro" section?

At this stage, I'm more anxious to test things than chat. (I'm going to alter the subject line of this thread - if I can!)

However, I do see your point on the 'caravan' aspect of a larger boat.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography

Re: Vanman800

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
GregSeaHawk wrote
Have you tried to alter your subject line in the "Intro" section?
Oops! I see you have!

Thanks for that.