Rigging

Jack
Hi
does anyone have/know of rigging for a pedro or know of a a type of rigging that would fit. Would bigger sails be fessible for increased performance
thanks
jack

Re: Rigging

GregSeaHawk
Hi Jack,

I don't know the dimensions of the Pedro rig or of one that might fit. However, photographs of the two boats suggest that, in essence, the Pedro mast is "cut off" at the point where the forestay enters the mast. This would tie in, roughly, with the sail area figures given in the brochures for each boat - 126 sq ft for the SeaHawk, and 100 sq ft for the Pedro.

I doubt that adding sail area would improve performance. It's more likely you have a boat that heeled more and went sideways faster. Having said that, if you fitted the deep keel of the Señorita, then it might work nicely.

The Pedro page on the site doesn't say much about the deep keel of the Señorita but the old Yachting World review includes a sketch of how it is bolted to the base of the flat area of the central keel.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography

Re: Rigging

Jack
hi,
I was wondering then how long the mast needs to be.
thanks
jack

Re: Rigging

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
I'll measure mine when I get home after the weekend. Overall it's 6m, but I have never measured up to the forestay.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography

Re: Rigging

Jack
hi
one more question how wide or thick is the mast (section).
thanks
jack

Re: Rigging

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Jack,

I'm home!

My mast, early SSS spars, turns out to be 6.1m tall, with 1.55m above the top of the forestay pulley. Both of those measurements are accurate within a few mm. The mast is 55mm wide.

I fancy that the later Holt mast might be a fraction wider and it's possible that there are very minor differences with the various manufacturers as the SeaHawk rig did vary slightly over the years - especially the Mistral Craft built boats with Z-Spars rigging.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography

Re: Rigging

ianhurley20
There may be a few mm variation but as near as I can measure my Enterprise mast matches those dimensions exactly. Lots of them around and fairly cheap, I wouldn't think they were too difficult to cut down to size for The Pedro or even to use as a full size cheap replacement for a Seahawk mast.

Re: Rigging

GregSeaHawk
And I should have added that the boom is 2.75m long
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography

Re: Rigging

Jack
Hi,
I have one more question and that is how far is the cabin top from the gooseneck
thanks
jack

Re: Rigging

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Jack,
Jack wrote
how far is the cabin top from the gooseneck
That's a bit variable. When I ordered my new sails from Jeckells in 2005 I made no specification about how big they should be. However, when delivered the main was distinctly bigger than the original 1974 sail. I've never measured it, but I'd guess there's a four inch difference in the length of the luff.

It's not a problem as there is a slide on the back of the mast, in which the gooseneck fits, and you just haul down on it until the luff is tight. The boom is now marginally lower than it was, but still clearly my head (I'm 6ft!) when gybing so I don't worry at all.

When reefing I roll the main around the boom. When you do that the sail hangs slightly differently and the back of the boom drops slightly, so there is a risk of it catching my head. Therefore I find myself raising the gooseneck by a few inches before hauling on the halyard.

In short I think the answer to your question is not a dimension so much as: whatever is sufficient to allow the boom to clear your head!