Raymond Smith

lucytheparrot
Hi Raymonnd here can anybody enlighten me about sailing on river and lochs [lakes] in britain Ive always been a seagoing sailor just get the boat in the water and go, but when down at windsor I see all the boats have some sort of licence or number and other parts of the country also are there a list of sorts that tell you if you are going to a certain area what the regulations are before you launch on these waterways, if anybody can help I would be much obliged  thanks

Navigation Licences (WAS Raymond Smith)

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Raymond,

I would try entering terms like:

navigation authority clyde

(or whatever river/lake you plan to sail on) in your favourite search engine. It should help you find the appropriate body and the information you need or, of course, look more closely at a relevant licence disk itself. Once you know who to contact you'll be able to find out more about the appropriate licence for you. Unlike angling licences, navigation licences are frequently for a minimum period of a month so work out far more expensive than an annual licence.

P.S. Always use a subject line that relates to your post. People are more likely to read your message if they see it will relate to something they know about.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography

Re: Raymond Smith

Tony Campbell
Hi Raymond.  There are several river and waterway authorities who have their own registration systems and fees.  Take a look at the web sites for the Environment Agency, British Waterways and for Norfolk Broads the "broads authority". The broads allow 28 days visiting without registration. I believe all tidal rivers are free from fees (except for our River Tees!) and also understand that all sea and inland lochs are free with there right to roam legislation. The English lakes are free from registration , with the exception of Windermere where powerboats including outboards have to register.
Hope this helps
Tony

Re: Raymond Smith

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Tony Campbell wrote
The broads allow 28 days visiting without registration.
True! But that doesn't mean you are let off a toll. For a SeaHawk with outboard motor, from April this year 8-14 days will cost you £49.90. I am paying £75.89 for an annual toll (including my 30% discount for only using an electric outboard). Hence my comment that about the disproportionate cost for short term tolls. See:

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/tolls-and-registration/short-visit-tolls.html

I believe all tidal rivers are free from fees (except for our River Tees!)
I fear you are mistaken. The Broads are tidal and and most if not all the rivers controlled by the Anglian Region of the EA have tidal reaches for which you have the pay their standard tolls for the whole river. I suspect the Tees is typical, not an exception!

Now what about our Scots readers to tell us about things north of the border!
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography

Re: Raymond Smith

lucytheparrot
       Hi Tony thanks for that information it gave me an insight on where to look also I enjoy your remarks on Charlotte III takes to the tees you also gave a good account on how you found the seahawk its certainly a great site to learn about the seahawk, gregseahawk also gave me very good advice on the subject.     cheers.