Jib furling.

Re: Jib furling.

2011venator
This is the drum at the base sorry it is a poor picture but I used a notepad

Hard to tell but there is no cleat for a halyard on the pole or the drum

Re: Jib furling.

2011venator

Re: Jib furling.

brian johnson
Hi Greg
I'll take some pics when the boat is in the water and the mast is up in late April then email them to you.
Cheers
Brian

Re: Jib furling.

brian johnson
This looks very similar to my furling gear. The tab next to where the line enters the drum is for a short line or strop that is fixed to a suitable point on the deck - I use a small U bolt.  This prevents the bottom bearing from rotating when furling the sail. You need the strop to be fixed on the side where the furling line runs back to the cockpit so that the furling line enters the drum in a straight line.  I'm surprised there is no lower cleat or other fixing point for the halyard.  There may be a couple of holes where rivets used to be. It's easy to fix a small cleat to the alloy pole using some 4mm monel pop rivets.  Do you have a pic of the top of the pole where the forestay enters it?

Re: Jib furling.

GregSeaHawk
Thought I'd have a go at enhancing Stuart's photos. These were the results:

Furling Gear

Furling Gear
Not perfect, but they make some things a little more clear.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography

Re: Jib furling.

Marsh Marigold
Here are some pictures of our jib furling (not reefing) system.  There are several so you can see both parts from above and below.  As far as I remember it all came as a kit, apart from the big disc (ashtray!) which is used as a spreader to stop the forestay getting twisted into the furled sail.  We probably don't go as fast as we would if there was a pole, but it doesn't make much difference and is much more convenient on the Broads for lowering the mast under bridges and stowing the jib in the cabin.
Victoria

Sent from my iPad

> On 27 Mar 2017, at 09:54, Marsh Marigold [via SeaHawk Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Stuart
> We use a furling system on our jib on the Broads.  We find it very useful when mooring and getting ready to go under bridges, and we put the jib away in the cabin rolled up between sails. It doesn't have a pole because that would make things difficult when lowering the mast so we can't use it to reef the jib, but we've never felt the need.
> Victoria

image1.JPG (73K) Download Attachment
image2.JPG (144K) Download Attachment
image3.JPG (125K) Download Attachment
image4.JPG (107K) Download Attachment
image5.JPG (106K) Download Attachment
image6.JPG (107K) Download Attachment

Re: Jib furling.

GregSeaHawk
Hi Brian,
brian johnson wrote
I'll take some pics when the boat is in the water and the mast is up in late April then email them to you.
I'm now preparing a new page for the main web site on furling/reefing gear. I've got Victoria's photos to illustrate a furling system, I'm just waiting for yours showing a reefing system. Hope you've managed to get your boat in the water.

Ideally, mail them using the link on the Contact page, so you can send full sized versions that aren't subject to the forum 1Mb file size limit.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography

Re: Jib furling.

brian johnson
Boat is still not in the water yet.  Combination of too much playing with other toys (ancient VW buses) and strong easterlies.  Hope to get her in next week then I'll take some pics.

Re: Jib furling.

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
My brother and wife are in love with VW campers - but they only have posters and china mugs, nothing that actually needs work!

I'm sure I can wait a week or two!