Capsize

2011venator 2011venator

Capsize

Seahawks seem pretty stable little boats to me but the capsize screening formula rates them at 2.45 which seems higher than some other small cruisers anyone ever capsized in rough weather?
GregSeaHawk GregSeaHawk

Re: Capsize

Hi Stuart,

I see that a good proportion of your posts mention capsizing. I think you worry about it too much.

Obviously, anything is possible, but in all normal circumstances, when cruising the waters for which it was designed (inland and in sight of the coast) I'd say that providing you have a half competent crew on board, your boat is in good order with appropriate sail for the conditions you can discount capsize as a risk worthy of attention.

I had to look up Capsize Screening Formula as it was new to me and found this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsize_screening_formula
It reads to me very like Body Mass Index in terms of its ability to be misused, misunderstood and misinform.

Have you found a site that listed 2.45 for the SeaHawk?
Did you make your own calculation on displacement?

The only story I have that comes close to one of capsize was reported here:
https://forum.seahawk17.org.uk/Boom-rigging-tp4024371p4024375.html
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
2011venator 2011venator

Re: Capsize

Thanks Greg  always good to have something to worry about in these covid troubled days You are of course correct probably because I never sailed dinghys when younger like many more sensible sailors so have never 'pushed' a yacht/dinghy to its limits.
I got the capsise formula from https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/seahawk-17 like you it is not something i had noticed before.
By the way I can swim like a fish so no idea why I worry probably more concerned that all my kit ends up in the drink.
brian johnson brian johnson

Re: Capsize

I've sailed mine really hard on a beam reach   in  strong winds and 3m swells and never came near a capsize. Shrimpers nearby were nearly laid flat.  Seahawks are pretty stiff boats but the rule is always reef early!

https://forum.seahawk17.org.uk/Capsize-tp4025166.html
To start a new topic under General Discussion, email ml+s968426n1596104h91@n3.nabble.com